Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

What is it about moms?


Oddly enough, my mom has been in my thoughts all weekend.  It can’t possibly have anything to do with the fact that today is Mother’s Day, but there it is, nonetheless.

My mother was a complex contradiction in terms, as moms the world over tend to be.  She grew up all tomboy with six brothers and two sisters, while simultaneously evolving into an indisputably voluptuous young woman.  She was born and raised in a small southwest Kansas town, went to tiny schools, and was afforded the somewhat stunted educational benefits that generally attach to such an environment;   but curiosity, intelligence, and EQ were in her DNA, so she found herself on a quest for learning from the start. 

Mother graduated high school and then earned what was known as an Emergency Teaching Certificate through a six-week course at what was then Ft. Hays State Teachers' College.  This was during WWII and the situation called for desperate measures.  At about 18 years old, she taught for one year in a country school where most of the high school boys were taller than she was.  Then she met my dad and that temporarily ended her teaching career.  She married a few months short of her 19th birthday, and three weeks short of her 20th she delivered her first baby – me. 
   
Four more babies followed, one of whom she lost during delivery, and what with being a mother and a wife, and filling countless other roles, she didn’t get around to college again for a decade and a half.  There was never a time, however, when she wasn’t reading at least two books and filling journals with her thoughts. 

Finally, when I was a junior in high school, she enrolled in the local community college and graduated with honors.  Then she went on to the local four-year college (I was a freshman there when she was a junior) and graduated with HIGHEST honors.  With those credentials she taught English, Drama and Yearbook for several years at the high school my siblings and I attended.  In fact, my two sisters and my brother all had her as a teacher, and she and my dad were so well-loved that they were invited to help chaperone a Senior Trip.  Later, she taught EMR (old label, but it stood for Educable Mentally Retarded) classes, and was one of a handful of women who founded the Learning Co-op for this part of the state.  I was thoroughly immersed in my own life by then and didn’t keep up with everything she was doing, but I knew enough to be justifiably proud of her.  

Somewhere in there, Mother earned a Master’s degree, again, fittingly, from Ft. Hays State, and had family circumstances not intervened it’s highly possible she might have gone on to get a doctorate.   
   
Because of Mother’s love of learning and reading, my sisters and brother and I grew up in a household of books.  When we were little she read to us a lot, and later on she carted us to the Carnegie Library every week or so and let us choose our own stack of books to take home.  She had a small office filled with books, and her end of the couch was surrounded by more books and notebooks.  Each of us absorbed her priorities and ended up with our OWN love of reading. 

Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our beautiful, intriguing mother far too early.  A sudden heart attack took her from us when she was just 67 years old.  I often find myself wondering what she might be like now in her 80s, but I really only have to remember what my grandmother – her mother – was like into her 90s --- lovely, intelligent, interesting, kind, thoughtful, funny and fun-loving.  I miss them both!  And therein lies another story ….  

 Mommy & Me on Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment